BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Ooo ooo ooooooooooooooo baby baby

I've had that song in my head since Anoop sang it last week. It is so beautiful. But I'm also grateful there will be another show tonight so Anoop can sing another song that will get in my head because I'm kind of sick of it.

Anyway, I'm at work right now. But inbetween actually working, I like to do my own thing. I'm googling YA sports novels. The novel I'm working is centered around a high school Varsity basketball team in an affulent, mostly white suburb. I love writing about basketball the most because I played it in high school but I was never on varsity, or a boy, or especially talented/driven or white... so it's different. But... I enjoy writing it.

So I need some direction, some examples. Especially with action sequences and locker talk and stuff. It's hard writing out all the noise that's happening in the locker room because everyone likes to talk a lot, althought my protag, he's kind of a quiet person. But everyone else is talking. How do I distinguish all of these voices so that everyone doesn't sound the same? These are things I think about.

But it's a first draft so you keep on writing. Sucky first drafts. Did I mention I don't like revision either? haha

So I think I'm gonna check out this book called Waiting to Score by JE MacLeod. It's by a woman! The cover is not one I like (I don't like covers with big ol' faces on them because I think it's dorky) but don't judge a book by it's cover! I think it's something I need to check out.

That means running to the library! I have to save my money. The last two books I bought were Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson (very good and sad, kinda gut-wrenching, made me feel a bit crazy at times) and Paper Towns by John Green (which I still haven't finished... for some reason. I tend to get distracted in the middle of books. I'm ADD).

Boo, it's not in the library. What kind of middling library does this town have! Well, we'll see about that.

The other book I'm working is called Reading Like a Writer by Francine Prose. The last writing book I read was Self Editing for Fiction Writers, which was a good read and helpful. It gives you concrete things to think about while writing.

Well, back to the grind.

No comments:

Post a Comment